8 Easy Ways to Update Your Cabin
April 25 | by Jamey Vick
With the summer season just around the corner, it’s no wonder that people are airing out their cabins and getting ready to make the drive each weekend for a mini vacation. Cabins are a great place to get away from the hustle & bustle of the city and the stress of work.
They’re also the perfect place to spend time with family and loved ones while getting back to nature, spending some time outdoors and leaving your worries behind, even if it is just for a few days!
The only downfall that so many people encounter with cabins is the maintenance they require. Many are quite a few years old and in need of some TLC, but don’t worry! This doesn’t have to mean spending your entire summer doing endless hours of renovations and it also doesn’t have to break the bank! There are an endless number of things that you can do to update your cabin and make it an even more enjoyable place to spend your summer.
Updates can have so many amazing benefits. Here are three of the most popular reasons that people are choosing to revamp their older cabins:
To make it more welcoming – A few finishing touches can help to make your space a more welcoming and relaxing place to visit. Whether it's just you and the family or if you plan to invite friends, having a comfortable and inviting space cabin that everyone looks forward to going to will make your trips that much more enjoyable.
To increase its value – Whether you are thinking of one day selling your property or perhaps renting it out as an Airbnb or vacation rental, putting in a bit of effort to make some updates will go a long way in making it more appealing to potential customers or buyers and will increase its overall value.
To make it more modern – If your cabin is starting to show its age then it's probably time to do some updating. A few modern touches, like new appliances, upgraded technology, new windows or a new roof will make your cabin space more enjoyable and can also increase efficiency making it a greener space too.
To make it more environmentally friendly – Updating your cabin with some of the newest technology in environmental trends is a great way to help out mother nature. One of the reasons that you enjoy visiting your cabin so much is to enjoy the great outdoors so why not do your part and help conserve the environment by doing some updates that will make it friendlier to our earth.
Here is a list of the top 8 easiest ways that you can update your cabin:
- Apply a coat of paint – Sometimes all it takes is a coat of paint to spruce things up. Before doing a total reno job, look through your space with a fresh eye and some paint swatches and see if there is anything that a coat of paint will fix. Walls, cupboards, doors and trim can be made new again with a little bit of time, some elbow grease and a can of paint.
- Work on your outdoor space – Most of the time spent at the cabin is spent outdoors when the weather is nice so why not focus on making this space more inviting? Maybe the exterior of your building could use a refinish or working on your patio, garden or dock, putting in a bit of work to make the outside areas of your cabin more appealing may be just the update that you need.
- Update your furniture – Many cabins become the dumping grounds for our worn out or hand-me-down furniture. Sometimes, all your cabin needs for a nice easy update is a new, comfy couch and maybe an updated mattress in the bedroom. This will make your visits more comfortable and will make your living space more inviting.
- Modernize the kitchen – They say that the kitchen is the heart of the home and the same is true for your cabin. New appliances or refacing old cabinets can completely change the entire environment of your vacation home, making it a much more lovely place to cook and eat.
- Re-do the décor – Just like with furniture, cabins are often the places that we bring our old home decor items. This can give our weekend homes an outdated or mis-matched feel. A few new decor items or pictures can work wonders for changing the mood and entire feel of your cabin living space.
- Winterize – While this may be a more expensive option, winterizing your cabin can be the perfect update for those looking for a place to get away all year round. By adding some insulation, a fireplace or furnace and replacing old windows, your cabin can be transformed into a four season retreat.
- Go Green – Why not make your cabin as green as possible? Technology like solar panels, composters or rain water conservation systems are an excellent investment. Not only will they help the environment but they can also make your cabin more energy efficient and save you money on your electricity, lawn care and water bills!
- Declutter – Sometimes all your cabin needs is a good cleaning out. Older spaces have a way of collecting things and just a weekend of reorganizing can do wonders for your space. Why not rent out a dumpster, have it delivered to your cabin and fill it up with all of the odds and ends that have been sitting around, collecting dust. Don’t forget to clear out all of the outbuildings and sheds that are on your property too! By the time you are finished, it will feel like you have a brand new cabin.
Having a cabin can be a wonderful thing and while upkeep and maintenance is needed, there are a number of simple updates that ways there are a number of simple things that can be done to preserve function and value for years to come.
Whether it’s minor renovations or just a thorough decluttering, VaVia is here to help! Our affordable dumpster rentals that can be easily delivered right to your cabin and, when you are finished, we’ll pick it up with absolutely no hassle to you. To learn more about our services or to rent your own VaVia dumpster, contact us today!
We're sorry, but the zip code you entered is out of our current service area. Please try another zip code or contact us.