Get Ready to Go Green: How to pull off an eco-friendly home renovation
March 10 | by Jamey Vick
Renovating your home is an excellent way to update both the look and feel of your living environment. Whether you are looking to increase the space or flow in your house or just want to make it feel more modern, renovations are a great way to go. Not only can they make your house feel more like the home you’ve always dreamed of, they can also increase the value of one of the biggest investments that most of us will make in our lifetime.
Renovations however, can also have a large impact on the environment, involving significant resources, energy and hazardous chemicals. There are many reasons why you should consider greener options when planning out your remodel. Here are just a few:
- It will reduce your impact on the environment: Having a smaller impact on the environment means that you are making a substantial contribution to keeping both the planet and all of its inhabitants a little bit healthier. If everyone were to strive to make small changes in all areas of their lives, the world would be a much cleaner and greener place to live.
- It will make your home healthier: Choosing environmentally sound products when performing your home renovations can help to make your entire household healthier. Many of the products and processes that are utilized during traditional renovation procedures use chemicals that can pose a threat to your health.
- It will save you money: Many people think that making environmentally friendly choices when renovating their home will end up costing them more but the truth is, it will actually save you money in the long run. By utilizing reclaimed products, and installing technology like solar paneling or high efficiency appliances, you will not only help to keep the environment green, but your wallet will remain greener as well!
- It will increase the value of your home: Generally speaking, most renovations will increase the value of your home to begin with, but choosing the green options when doing these renos can help to bring back a greater return on investment when the time comes to sell. Buyers and investors are looking for homes that stand out from others and those that have been remodeled using environmentally safe practices and that have implemented green technology will be easier and faster to sell. As a rule, more people are looking for homes nowadays that will help them to keep both their families healthier and the world that we live in safer and cleaner.
Although making green choices sounds complicated, there is no need to worry! Pulling off an eco-friendly home renovation is possible, and it can be extremely easy too! Here are just a few ways that you can remodel your home while caring for the environment at the same time.
- Buy reclaimed goods – Using products that have been used before is an excellent way to help the environment and save money at the same time, plus it can give you the unique opportunity to find products that you may not be able to find somewhere else. Stores like Habitat for Humanity sell everything from cabinets to lighting fixtures, to doors and even the kitchen sink! Before you buy new, why not take a look at what used goods others are offering. You’d be amazed at the treasures you can find!
- Salvage and reuse – Before you completely tear down and demolish everything, take a moment to think about the things that you may be able to reuse somewhere else during your remodel. Perhaps there is wood or cabinetry that can be reused somewhere else. Put your thinking cap on and try to find as many ways as possible to reduce your waste and reuse as much as possible.
- Donate – If you can’t find a way to reuse all of the items you remove during your reno, don’t just throw them away! Donate them so that others can use them. Not only will this help out the environment but it will also help out others who are thinking about renovating in your community!
- Consider a coat of paint – Before you spend thousands of dollars, countless hours of work and endless amounts of resources and energy, take a moment to think about the changes that a simple coat of paint can make. For example, before installing all new cabinetry, why not consider refinishing them or instead of installing brand new flooring, why not try a different color stain for wood floors or hire a carpet cleaning service to bring old carpets back to life?
- Use eco-friendly products – When choosing things like paints, cleaners and adhesives, opt for the environmentally friendly options that are available on the market. These products have less of an impact on the environment and are the healthier choice for your home overall.
- Use green technology – Choosing solar panels and high efficiency appliances will help to reduce the amount of energy that is used and wasted in your home on a daily basis. This will not only save you a lot of money over the course of the year but it will also make a considerable contribution to the impact that your household has on the environment.
What better way to fall back in love with your home than with a renovation and why not continue to share the love by making that reno as green and environmentally friendly as possible!
When planning your next remodel, why not invite us to help? At VaVia we are experienced at supporting renovators and can offer you our years of experience in the dumpster rental business. There is no job too big, or too small for us to handle. Visit www.govavia.com today for more information on all the ways that we can help you with your renovation needs.
Looks like you may be in our extended service area!
Getting started is easy: just pick the nearest city in our locations menu and give us a call at the displayed number. We're ready to assist you!