Moving Out? 7 Ways to Lighten the Load
March 25 | by Overton Thompson
Moving to a new home can be an exciting experience. The prospect of a new beginning can be invigorating but it can also be intimidating as well. Having to pack up all of your worldly possessions, transport them to a new location and then unpack and put them all away can be daunting and stressful. One way to overcome this issue is to minimize the number of things that you have to move. Decluttering and organizing before moving can make the relocation to your new place much easier. With less stuff to deal with you can be settled in and relaxing in your new home in no time at all.
It’s so easy to accumulate a lot of stuff over the years. While some of this stuff may be useful, much of it gets tossed aside or stored away, never to be seen again. Until moving day that is. With all of the stress of finding a new place, selling your old one, packing up and moving out, it can be overwhelming to try and decide what to do with everything that you have. To lighten the load when moving, try dealing with all of your things well in advance.
So, how do you decide what you should keep and what you should get rid of? Here are a few things to consider:
- Does it have sentimental value? Take a moment to think about the item you are considering. Where did it come from, does it have meaning to you and is it something that will be important to pass down through your family? If it has sentimental value then keeping it is probably your best option, if not then it’s time to get rid of it and allow someone else to enjoy it.
- When was the last time you used it? If you don’t have an answer to this question then it is definitely time to let go of the item. If it’s something that hasn’t been used or worn in the past year, then there’s a good chance that it won’t ever be used again.
- Do you see yourself using it in the next year? If you don’t see yourself needing to use the item within the next year, then it is probably time to give it away or throw it out. Most of the important items in your home will be used at least once in a year so keep this in mind when going through your things.
Once you have finally committed to decluttering, here are 7 great ways that you can quickly and easily get rid of your unwanted items.
- Have a Yard Sale – One person’s junk is another’s treasure! And what better way to get rid of all of your junk then by selling it to treasure hunters right from the comfort of your own front lawn. Not only will this allow you to minimize the amount of stuff you have but you can also earn a few dollars in the process!
- Donate to Charity – Charitable organizations like Goodwill and The Salvation army are great places to give your unwanted goods. It can help you with downsizing or decluttering while also helping someone else in need.
- Sell Online – There’s an abundance of online sales and auction sites like Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist and eBay (to name just a few!) where you can sell your things and earn some money on the side!
- Visit a Consignment Shop – Consignment shops allow you to sell your goods on consignment to others. For a small fee, the shop will display your item and contact you once it has been sold. Consignment shops are especially popular for high ticket, brand name clothing and accessories
- Contact an Auction House – If you have a lot of items to sell, items of significant value (like artwork or antiques) or many large items (like furniture), a local auction house can help you find the right buyers for your things and can make decluttering a quick and easy process.
- Rent a Storage Unit – If you’re still having trouble deciding what should stay and what should go, don’t stress yourself out! You can easily lighten your load in time for your move by renting a local storage unit. This will allow you to store your stuff away until you have the time to go through it properly. You’ll get to keep your stuff but won’t have to go through the pain of moving and unpacking it all!
- Rent a Dumpster – If you have a significant amount of stuff to get rid of, one of the easiest ways to do so is by renting a dumpster. All it takes is a quick phone call and one can be delivered right to your driveway. Fill it with everything that you want to throw out and then have it picked up and taken away! Renting a dumpster makes getting rid of large amounts of junk simple and hassle free, plus, it’s fast and inexpensive.
While moving is often the start of something new and can be an adventure, it’s also one of the most stressful experiences that we can go through in life. So, why make it more difficult than it has to be? Lightening your load before you move will make the process of packing and unpacking easier and more enjoyable.
If you are looking to declutter and get rid of items that are no longer of use to you and your family, we can help! At VaVia we specialize in affordable dumpster rentals and can provide a professional, hassle-free experience. For more information on how we can help you, visit www.govavia.com today.
We're sorry, but the zip code you entered is out of our current service area. Please try another zip code or contact us.